Live Client Guide (macOS) 1.5.70920
Heroes Share Live lets players view live game information and MMR previews for their games, or for anyone that uses the Heroes Share Live client.
You will need to download and install the Live client on your computer.
- Download HeroesShareLive.pkg
- Open your Downloads folder, right-click HeroesShareLive.pkg and select "Open" (don't just double click)
- If warned about an "unidentified developer", click Open anyways
- When prompted, enter your password to complete the install
Once the client is installed, play your first game! During the loading screen
(picture of the map with both teams) your Battle Lobby file will be sent to our
server. You can then find your game on the Live games index,
or you can keep open a browser that will always watch for your latest game here:
Where is the client installed?
The Heroes Share client is installed in the Application Support folder of your
root Library: /Library/Application Support/Heroes Share
In addition to the application data Heroes Share includes two LaunchDaemons to keep the script watching for new games and to keep the client updated. Should you need to adjust these, you can find them located here: /Library/LaunchDaemons/
To assist with diagnosing issues we've included a small script that you can run from Terminal (see above): /usr/local/bin/share
Heroes Share Live is still very new and in its beta phase. There are bound to be issues that
come up, and when they do, you can help by reporting them. Visit our
Contact page to report issues and ask for help.
Some general steps to try:
- Always make sure you have the latest version of the client installed
- Check your log file! It is in the Application Support folder (see below)
- Use our diagnostic tool to check for error messages and ensure the script is running (see below)
- If no games are showing, try adjusting your Firewall and Antivirus settings
- If your games are showing in "Preview mode" only, you probably need to update your client
If you are still experiencing issues please send a copy of the log file "watcher.log" to us along with a description of the issue. See the Contact page for ways to reach us.
To check on basic issues:
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities
- Launch Terminal
- Type "share" and press enter
Output should be as follows:
- Script status and process ID
- Timestamp for last replay check
- Timestamp for last upload
- Last few lines of the current log file
What goes on your computer
The client is very "thin" as most of the processing happens on our website. The code is all open source and can be reviewed on GitHub. Below is a summary of what each file does.
- /Library/Application Support/Heroes Share - All service files, process details, and logs are stored here.
/Library/Application Support/Heroes Share/heroprotocol -
This is Blizzard's own replay parsing library.
Full code and details are available on GitHub:
As replay protocols change this library will need to be updated to read local replay files and rejoin stubs.
- /Library/Application Support/Heroes Share/watcher.sh - This is the actual service that watches for Battle Lobby and Rejoin files, parses relevant data, and uploads it to the Heroes Share website.
- /Library/LaunchDaemons/net.heroesshare.watcher.plist - This Apple property list file defines how macOS' service manager should handle the watcher service, launching it and keeping it running in case of errors.
- /Library/Application Support/Heroes Share/updater.sh - This is the updater service that checks the Heroes Share website for a new version of the client and installs it.
- /Library/LaunchDaemons/net.heroesshare.updater.plist - Launchd PLIST for the updater service, launching it every 30 minutes to check for an update to the client.
- /usr/local/bin/share - This is a debug script for troubleshooting issues. This lets users open Terminal and type "share" to check on the service status.
Note: The macOS installer package is not currently signed
so will display a warning when you try to install. Right-click the package
and select "Open" to override the warning. You may also adjust your
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > "Allow apps from"
Using the Heroes Share Live client includes sharing up-to-date information
about you and the other people in your game. We take privacy very seriously
(see our Privacy Page) and information gathered
from the live client is handled with the same sensitivity and security as the
rest of this site.